Wednesday 13 July 2011

Ever the Optimist

I'm ever the optimist, me. Certain in the knowledge that one day, small boy won't want to go around bashing everything in his path to smithereens and that one day he will use his considerable intelligence in a constructive manner, rather than in figuring out how to break stuff.

So today we did a little experiment. I decided to try and teach him what gentle means. And I did this by getting him to put some of these back in the fridge.

I know, I know, possibly not the cleverest idea I've ever had. But my thinking was this: what better way to try and teach him that some things are more fragile than others than having to do something with great care.

Duke was well up for the idea. You could see the concentration etched on his face as he listened to my instructions and then slowly, carefully, made his way all the way to the fridge with his fragile little parcel.

And he did it! He actually got it from one side of the kitchen to the other and into the fridge without incident. What a proud Mummy. Of course, no sooner had I lavished praise on his head than he became eager to repeat the process.

Which involved taking the eggs out of the fridge, before mummy could open her mouth to stop him. 

Oops


















Well, I suppose you could say lesson learned.

2 comments:

  1. Hahahahaha. What a sweet post. Always think that mums are too worried about letting little ones try things "in case they make a mess". But surely they can only learn if they make one or two mistakes (messy ones) along the way. What's a few broken eggs, when it comes to building up a child's self esteem? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite! And he did so well, really... :-)

    ReplyDelete