Tuesday 31 August 2010

The Lollipop

We're celebrating! The sun is out! It's [gasp] WARM! So out come the lollipops that we make with orange juice that she has waited daaaaaaaaaaaays to enjoy. Mummy's just prising it out of its plastic container when... Uh Oh, the lollipop breaks in two.
She stares at me.
I look back at her.
I know what's coming.
Her bottom lip starts to tremble.
Her eyes are filling with tears...
Mummy
BROKE
the lollipop.
Silence. Then...
"Mummmmeeeeee" [WAIL] I didn't want a BROKEN one...[WAIL] it's all BROKEN now... [WAIL]
So I spend a few minutes consoling, trying to explain that it still tastes the same... but the WAAAAIIIIIIILLLLLIIIIINNNNNNG continues until I say that never mind then, I'm just going to leave it here for a minute and then I'll eat the lolly instead. And I disappear inside.
Outside, silence.
The lollipop is eaten.

No comments:

Post a Comment